hello ot3 ur looking v. cute today
A polyship blog for all forms of media open to ships with any number of members.
hello ot3 ur looking v. cute today
My OT3 is so much cuter than all the other OT3s.
such terrible, transparent friends
#BONES YOUR FACE #I bet it was his idea #I bet Jim doesn’t know what chocolate does to Vulcans #Uhura knows #Uhura has been trying to pull this off for years #and she knows the key is Jim Kirk’s charming smile and stupid twinkle eyes #going all round and saying BUT SPOCK I MADE IT MYSELF (bonesbuckleup)
So I was doodling the other day in music and it turned into a Nyota Uhura expressions sheet, which is totally cool because she’s super awesome. But you know, it got me thinking of all the hate/general dismissal she’s getting in the reboots, and I’d like to address a few things and explain why Uhura is generally awesome:
- First of all, reboot Uhura was introduced in 2009 as an intelligent, dignified, and witty woman, with a sense of humour and a 100% ability to make her own decisions and her own destiny (see: her firm decision that she would be assigned to the enterprise, and also her dismissal of Kirk’s flirtation, thought that may be a slightly weaker argument). She was not, in fact, simply “the girlfriend”; in fact, her romance - which was with Commander Spock, out of all the characters, someone who is not generally a “ladies man”, such as Kirk (making the relationship new and not cliche) - was not introduce until at least sixty percent of the movie was over, first having established her as - yes, a minor character - but a minor character that was incredibly competent at what she did and superbly professional in all aspects of her life, yet still having a sense of humour and fun (see: scene with Gaila, scene on shuttle departing for spacedock, etc). Four for you, honey, you go honey.
- Second. SHE IS HELLA SMART. She can speak numerous languages, both alien and terran, and, in fact, was asked by Pike to relieve a male Lieutenant who was “incompetent” at his job because she not only spoke all three dialects of Romulan but could differentiate them from Vulcan. She is ready to learn and passionate about what she does. Furthermore, her relationship with Spock - though it does not define her personality in any way - further proves her inteligence, because let’s face it, Spock would look for an intellectual equal (well, you know what I mean) in any long term consensual relationship, which is what they have.
- Third. She stabbed a Klingon in the leg. 10/10
- Fourth. Uhura is very much HUMAN. She has emotions and feelings and is not, as many fics seem to portray her, a frigid, up-tight hard-ass robot lady. She is allowed to be sad, to cry, and yes, to break her professionalism sometimes. Look me in the face and tell me that if the person you loved was about to die, you wouldn’t be terrified as shit, and if they survived, you wouldn’t be at least a little frustrated with them for seemingly not taking you thoughts and opinions concerning their well being into consideration. LOOK ME IN THE FACE AND TELL ME. Tell me that if you’d just seen one of your close friends die, you wouldn’t be scared and upset and kind of irrational (which she wasn’t, actually). People form emotional attachments to other people. IT IS NORMAL. IT IS RELATABLE. Sometimes you really like another person and that other person really likes you and you do dumb things because of your emotional attachment to said person. Humanity is a good thing.
- Based off my last point: woW strong female character loves another person and they do thingS BECAUSE OF THAt person woW impoSSIBLE feMALe charCTER has FEELINGS?!?!?! woW SO STRANGE UNaccePTABLE.
- Her friendship with Kirk is my favorite thing of life like that’s one thing they didn’t goof up on nOT MAKING THEIR RELATIONSHIP ROMANTIC YAY.
- sass. So much sass
- Generally very competent and dignified and respected and I just aspire to be her.
- As amazing and fabulous and so awesome as Nichelle Nichols’s Uhura was (lady crush man), I have to say that I enjoy Uhura getting more screentime and more character development in the reboot other than just being badass poc comms officer in the background 90% of the time.
- reboot Uhura is comfortable with herself and her body and her relationships and intelligence and does not accept the belittling of any of her qualities by anyone, even if it’s to not show “favoritism” (Spock u dork).
- Her name means star of freedom and is that isn’t rad as hell get outa my face
Yeah so probably most of that made no sense and I must have missed like ten points but I just really love Uhura and feel the need to defend her. JJ Abrams did a lot of things wrong, but there are still many things he did right.
Basically 10/10 4384564 for you reboot Uhura, you go reboot Uhura.
also if you hate on her for “getting in the way of you otp” I will file a restraining order against you just a heads up